Friday, December 10, 2010

Annotated Bibliography

Note: I could not get the citations to indent five spaces. I tried to get it to work, but it refuses to format correctly. The citations are done correctly in my paper portfolio.
“American President: Franklin Delano Roosevelt: Domestic Affairs.” Miller Center of Public Affairs, 2010. Web. 2 November 2010.
      I found this web page by going to Google and typing in the search terms “Franklin D. Roosevelt Recession.” The Miller Center of Public Affairs has a large staff of scholars. The web page I used gave detailed information about Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s New Deal. It has a realistic view of him, and does not glorify or condemn the New Deal. The web page includes what his critics as well as his supporters said about his policies.

Boone, Peter, and Simon Johnson. "Way Too Big To Fail." New Republic 241.18 (2010): 20. Business Source Complete. Web. 9 December 2010.
      In the Business Source Complete database, I used the search terms “bailout” AND “effective*” to get this article. It says that the government was forced to bail out banks because they had become “too big to fail.” The majority of the article is spent talking about a loophole in financial reform that the authors say banks will take advantage of. I mainly used this article for some basic information about the bailout. Both authors have a lot of experience in economics.

Business Cycle Dating Committee. “Business Cycle Dating Committee Announces Trough Date.” National Bureau of Economic Research, 20 September 2010. Web. 11 November 2010.
      During my research, I found many mentions of the National Bureau of Economic Research’s (NBER) decision about the trough date, but all of the articles I found had already formed an opinion about what the NBER had said. I only wanted the primary source, so I used the search term “National Bureau of Economic Research” to find the NBER’s original statement. The Business Cycle Dating Committee from the NBER is composed of many experts.

Clemmitt, Marcia. "Public-Works Projects." CQ Researcher 19.7 (2009): 153-176. CQ Researcher. Web. 5 December 2010.
      I found this article in the CQ Researcher database when I used the search terms “recession and bailout* and stimulus.” It was not exactly what I was looking for at the time, but it did give me a lot of information on Public-Works Projects, which was useful for other portions of my I-search essay. This article uses a lot of research, and the author lists all of the sources she used. The author is a veteran social-policy reporter.

Elmhirst, Sophie. "Hard times." New Statesman 138.4963 (2009): 26-27. History Reference Center. Web. 9 December 2010.
      In the History Reference database, I used the search terms “great depression” AND “mental*” to find this article. The author uses many interviews and facts as evidence. She is a contributing writer for the New Statesman. This article is easily understood by the layman. The article fits in with my essay about how a bad economy affects people psychologically.

Ferguson, Niall. "The End of Prosperity?." Time 172.15 (2008): 36. History Reference Center. Web. 20 October 2010.
      I found this article in the History Reference Center using the search terms “great depression” AND “recession” AND “cause*”. The author is a historian at Harvard University, and his article was very useful to me in my research. The article talks all about drawing parallels between the Great Depression and the Recession. The only difficulty with this article is that it was written before the bailouts came into effect, so some of the issues he talks about, such as the bailout possibly not passing legislation, are no longer issues.

Kennedy, John Fitzgerald. “Inaugural Address.” The World’s Great Speeches. Ed. Lewis Copeland, Lawrence W. Lamm, Stephen J. McKenna. Mineola, New York: Dover Publications, Inc. 1999. 740. Print.
      This speech was one of the required readings for this course. President John F. Kennedy’s mention that we need to work together against challenges gave a good opening for my essay about cooperation. The rest of his speech covers a broad range and would not have any bearing on the topic I was covering, but the part I quoted was useful.

Ramos, Eleanor. Personal Interview. 3 December 2010.
      Eleanor Ramos is my grandmother. I interviewed her because her father was a member of the Civilian Conservation Corps. He told her stories about his time there, and she also had photographs of his. This interview helped me to get a more personal view of how the New Deal helped people who were out of work. It also gave me a better idea of what the Civilian Conservation Corps did as a group.

Roosevelt, Franklin Delano. “First Inaugural Address.” The World’s Great Speeches. Ed. Lewis Copeland, Lawrence W. Lamm, Stephen J. McKenna. Mineola, New York: Dover Publications, Inc. 1999. 508. Print.
      This speech was not one of the required readings, but it did come from a book we used throughout the course. This speech was useful to me because it comes from the time period I am writing about. Franklin Roosevelt was president of the U.S. for most of the Great Depression. This speech was written when he first became president. This speech is widely quoted, especially the portion of the speech I used. The point he makes about not letting fear control your actions fit in exactly with the speech I wrote.

Stoddard, Scott. "Economic Optimism Hits 17-Month Low." Investors Business Daily 14 July 2010: 1. Business Source Complete. Web. 10 November 2010.
      I found this article in the Business Source Complete database. I used the search terms “recession” AND “economy” AND “optimism.” The article spoke on how depressed people have been in the shaky economy, and how they have lost faith in the government. It helped to make my point in my essay about how fearful and depressed the economy has made us. It gave useful, current information, and was easily understandable. The author of the article writes regularly for Investors Business Daily.

1 comment:

  1. I have read your entire presentation with geat delight.You are logical, cogent and thorough in your analysis. Each part could make publishable news. Nobody, so far seems to have a comprehensive view of the problem yet. You have a sound start with your college experience and with a sound contribution to the welfare of our society. I love your style and you,
    Buolo.

    ReplyDelete