Friday, December 10, 2010

How My Original Compositions Reflect My Research


          The essay I wrote titled The Road to Recovery is written as a speech with a bit of memoir. Because I wrote it as a speech, I used more to be verbs than usual, since I noticed that most of the speeches I read during the course also used a lot of to be verbs. The speech I wrote compares the feelings of depression about the economy in the 1930s to the feelings of depression in the present day. I also use information from the National Bureau of Economic Research, as well as other sources. The premise of my speech is that even though the economy is bad, we need to get past our fears.
          The other essay I wrote, titled Cooperation, is more like a manifesto. My premise in this essay is that the best way towards fixing the economy lies in getting the political parties to cooperate with each other instead of fighting. I use a relevant quote from President John F. Kennedy about cooperation. I mention that President Franklin Roosevelt was good at getting Congress to pass legislation. I acknowledge that cooperation will not be easy, but still say that cooperation is more effective than one political party trying to drown the other one out.
          Both essays relate well to my research because both relate the past to the present. I incorporated my research into the essays. Both examine some of the effects of economic turmoil, and both offer ideas on how to proceed.

No comments:

Post a Comment